COVID-19 UPDATE: Our office is closed to in-person appointments and walk-in advising at this time due to COVID-19.
Social Sciences Undergraduate Student Affairs offers advising through email, online
chat and scheduled appointments via Zoom. Please read through the information below
to determine which form of advising best works for you. Please only pursue one advising route at a time, so that we can efficiently and effectively
answer all student inquiries in a timely manner. Your cooperation is appreciated.
Will be available beginning Week 1 each quarter.
For quick questions requiring a more immediate response, chat is the best option. You will need to provide your full name and UCI ID number to communicate with a Social Sciences' Academic Advisor.
Examples of questions that are best for chat:
- Can I take this course as Pass/No Pass?
- When is the deadline to drop a class?
- Why can't I add this class?
To chat with an Academic Advisor during scheduled hours Click Here
VIRTUAL DROP-IN HOURS
Available Week 1 through 10 each quarter. For Fall Quarter, Virtual Drop-In Hours are every Thursday (excluding 11/26) from 11am-12pm.
Our PAAs are available for any quick questions you may have about Social Sciences' policies, majors/minors, requirements, and much more!
Drop-in on Zoom: https://uci.zoom.us/j/92702717610
Need a PAA when online chat and virtual drop-ins are not available? Feel free to contact them via email at SocSciPAA@uci.edu.
If you have just a few straightforward questions for an advisor, email is a great way to get the information you need!
You can expect a response from an advisor within 48 business hours. However, this may be delayed during busier times in the quarter. Thank you for your patience.
Examples of questions that can be asked via email:
- What do you think about this tentative course schedule?
- Can you help me decide how many units I should take?
- How many courses do I have remaining for my major?
- Have you received my IGETC?
Please be sure to include all relevant information in your email and state your question(s) as clearly and concisely as possible to allow for an accurate and thorough response.
- Always include your full name and UCI ID number in your email.
- Use your UCI email address (for all UCI correspondence). To protect your privacy, many UCI offices (including us!) will only respond to messages from UCI email accounts.
- Be clear and concise. Try to keep your email messages brief.
- Be professional. Treat emails as a formal communication - do not use text messaging abbreviations, slang, etc.
- Please only email ONE advisor in our office. Also, if you have multiple questions, collect your thoughts and write one email, instead of multiple emails.
- Be patient and flexible. We will respond as soon as we can to your email. Please keep in mind that some advising issues may require more time to be resolved.
SCHEDULED APPOINTMENTS (via Zoom)
20-minute scheduled appointments are intended for students with lengthier, more complex questions or scheduling issues that require more time with a full-time academic advisor than live chat will allow. Same day appointments are not available.
Please note appointments are only for students majoring in the School of Social Sciences. If you are interested in changing to or adding a major in Social Sciences, you can fill out a Change of Major Progress Request or email our Peer Academic Advisors at socsciPAA@uci.edu with your questions. Please view the Change of Major Requirements.
If your request is for a degree/progress check, no appointment is needed! You can submit a Degree Check Request and an advisor will email you a PDF of your progress via email within 4-7 business days.
Appointments are only available Tuesday through Friday 9:00am-11:00am and 1:30pm-3:30pm during weeks 2-10.
To request a scheduled appointment, please click here. After submitting the form, you will be contacted by our office within 2-3 business days.
Please read the Zoom Appointment Guidelines prior to your scheduled appointment.
Please Note: You don't need an appointment for the following: course petitions/substitutions, DegreeWorks updates, degree check requests, graduation application changes, letter requests, requests for prerequisite clearance, excess units, etc. Please refer to the Undergraduate Student Affairs FORMS page.