FALL QUARTER 2020 - PASS/NO PASS INFORMATION:
For majors or prospective majors in the School of Social Sciences, please note the following about the Pass/No Pass grades (P/NP) for the Fall 2020 quarter as follows:
- All major related courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- The School of Social Sciences' Math Requirement must be completed for a letter grade.
- Non-major related courses can be taken for P/NP.
- Students will be able to change their grade options, both letter grade to P/NP and P/NP to letter grade through Wednesday of Week 8, November 25th before 5PM for Fall Quarter.
- Courses taken P/NP will not count toward the 12-unit overall graduation cap on these courses.
- Students on academic probation may enroll in courses with the P/NP option in the Fall 2020 term.
- Courses to complete General Education Category I: Writing must be completed with a
grade of "C" or better ("P" for pass, if taking it for P/NP)
PLEASE NOTE - For FALL QUARTER 2020 ONLY, there will be no limit on how many P/NP units in which you may enroll (in a traditional quarter, students may only enroll in an average of four units of P/NP per quarter). However, please note - ALL MAJOR REQUIREMENTS, MATH and ELECTIVES WITHIN YOUR MAJOR MUST BE TAKEN FOR A LETTER GRADE (this is different from what the campus allowed in Spring and Summer 2020).
It is important when making the decision to take a course for P/NP or for a letter grade that you keep in mind the following:
- To receive a "P" for Pass and to get credit/units, you must earn a grade of "C" or better. However, if a course is taken for a letter grade, the minimum grade needed for credit would be at least a "D-" in most courses. This is especially important to note for graduating students, who are trying to fulfill their last requirements to graduate. You will need to weigh the risk of taking a course P/NP and not receiving credit if you earn the equivalent of a "C-" or lower.
- If you are planning to change your major or add a double major, you will be responsible for adhering to the corresponding School's P/NP policy.
- Writing courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better ("P" for pass, if taking the course for P/NP)
- If you are retaking a course that was originally for a LETTER GRADE, you must retake the course for a LETTER GRADE ONLY - there are no exceptions.
- It is recommended that you see how you are doing in the courses throughout the quarter.
You have until 5PM on Wednesday of Week 8 - November 25th (the day before the Thanksgiving
Holiday closure) to submit a request to change the grade option of a non-major course.
(No grade option changes can be made after that time)
You would submit your request to change the grade option via Student Access > Applications
> Enrollment Exception
Deadline: By 5PM on Wednesday, November 25th (Week 8)
PASS/NO PASS CONSIDERATIONS
To ensure academic success, you should carefully consider whether to use the Pass/No
Pass grading option.
Pass/No Pass may be a good option if...
- You are struggling with the transition to remote learning.
- The course is a non-major related course, General Education (GE), or non-major elective course for units.
- You have special circumstances that prevent you from performing to your typical standard.
Pass/No Pass is not allowed if...
- You are repeating a course previously taken for a Letter Grade. (You may not choose P/NP for retake)
- The course(s) is a MAJOR requirement or MATH course. School of Social Sciences' Major
courses and the Math Requirement, must be completed for a LETTER GRADE only.
- "Pass" and "No Pass" grades do not impact your GPA.
- A "C" grade or higher is needed to "Pass" and receive credit.
- If a course is taken for a Letter Grade, you only need a "D-" to receive credit (with the exception of Writing courses, which require at least a "C" to fulfill the requirement).
- If you are planning to change or add a major, refer to policies of that major's School.