COVID-19 SPRING QUARTER AND SUMMER 2020 - PASS/NO PASS INFORMATION:
The Academic Senate at UCI, which governs academic regulations at UC Irvine, has authorized adjustments to existing undergraduate regulations on Pass/No Pass grades (P/NP) for the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 quarters only as follows:
- All undergraduate courses will offer P/NP grading as an option. It is the student's choice as to whether they wish to take the course for letter grade or P/NP.
- Academic deans and departments are encouraged, but not required, to allow courses taken P/NP to fulfill school and major requirements.
- Students will be able to change their grade options, both letter grade to P/NP and P/NP to letter grade through the end of the 10th week (before 5PM) for Spring 2020. For Summer 2020, they can change their grade options through the end of instruction for the session in which they are enrolled. (Summer Academic Calendar)
- Courses taken P/NP will not count toward the 12-unit overall graduation cap on these courses.
- Students on academic probation may enroll in courses with the P/NP option in the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 terms.
- Courses to complete General Education Category I: Writing must be completed with a grade of "C" or better ("P" for pass, if taking it for P/NP)
- NOTE: The Senate recently extended these adjustments to allow students to take certain Writing
courses - Writing 37, Writing 39A, Writing 39AP on a P/NP basis.
PLEASE NOTE - For SPRING QUARTER 2020 AND SUMMER 2020 ONLY, the School of Social Sciences will allow "P" for PASS to count towards Change of Major Requirements, School, and Major Requirements. It is important when making the decision that you keep in mind the following:
- To receive a "P" for Pass and to get credit/units, you must earn a grade of "C" or better. However, if a course is taken for a letter grade, the minimum grade needed for credit would be at least a "D-." This is especially important to note for graduating students, who are trying to fulfill their last requirements to graduate.
- Writing courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better ("P" for pass, if taking it for P/NP)
- If you are retaking a course that was originally for a LETTER GRADE, you must retake the course for a LETTER GRADE ONLY, no exceptions.
- It is recommended that you see how you are doing in the courses throughout the quarter.
You have until Friday of Week 10 (before 5PM) for Spring 2020 to change the grade
option of a course. (No grade option changes can be made after that time)
PASS/NO PASS CONSIDERATIONS
SPRING 2020 & SUMMER 2020
To ensure academic success, you should carefully consider whether to use the Pass/No Pass grading option.
Pass/No Pass may be a good option if...
- You are struggling with the transition to remote learning.
- You feel this will hurt your GPA. Refer to Student Access GPA Calculator.
- You have special circumstances that prevent you from performing to your typical standard.
Pass/No Pass may not be a good option if...
- You are repeating a course previously taken for a Letter Grade. (You may not choose P/NP for retake)
- You are looking to boost your GPA and feel this course may help. Refer to Student Access GPA Calculator.
- "Pass" and "No Pass" grades do not impact your GPA.
- A "C" grade or higher is needed to "Pass" and receive credit.
- If a course is taken for a Letter Grade, you only need a "D-" to receive credit (with the exception of Writing courses, which require at least a "C" to fulfill the requirement)